FAQ and GNU

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Oct 10 18:45:17 CEST 2017

Thanks for going through the specific instances of Linux in the FAQ,
Leo.  This is what i was asking for when i was wondering whether a
concrete diff has been proposed.

(where is the FAQ maintained, btw?  how is one expected to submit
patches?)

I agree with all of Leo's conclusions except for the following:

On Tue 2017-10-10 18:03:52 +0200, Leo Gaspard wrote:
>> (all Linux distros feature a suitable GnuPG tool)
>
> Do we really want to exclude distros based on the Linux kernel but not
> on the GNU base utilities, but rather on eg. sbase [1]? I'd say there is
> no compelling reason to, so no reason to switch to GNU/Linux here.

I suspect that many minimal Linux-based operating systems (particularly
one that uses sbase instead of the GNU userland) will *not* feature a
suitable GnuPG tool.  So the statement above is probably more accurate
if you change it to GNU/Linux.

Do you have a list of sbase+Linux distros that we can look at for
comparison?

Certainly, the Linux distro known as Android does *not* feature a
suitable GnuPG tool :(

>> *** … for Linux?
>>
>> The bad news is there is no single, consistent way to install GnuPG on
>> Linux systems.  The good news is that it’s usually installed by
>> default, so nothing needs to be downloaded!
>
> The same argument leads me to think there is no reason to switch to
> GNU/Linux here again; distros without the GNU userspace don't have an
> easier way to install than distros with the GNU userspace as far as I know.

Again, i think this FAQ section is actually talking about GNU/Linux
systems, and it would be more appropriate to say that explicitly, rather
than to pretend that this covers every Linux-based operating system (it
clearly does not).

     --dkg