Generating a new keypair through GnuPG 2.x in Ubuntu 16.0.4

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Tue Oct 10 20:26:42 CEST 2017

I recently got a new laptop, and installed Ubuntu 16.0.4 LTS and used
the Ubuntu Software to install Kleopatra.
Ubuntu 16.0.4 has GnuPG 1.4.20 installed by default.

After installation, I tried to generate a keypair and could not.
Here is what happened:

=====[begin quoted terminal]=====

 p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

	londo at londo-earth-trinket:~$ gpg2 --gen-key

	gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.11; Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

	Note: Use "gpg2 --full-gen-key" for a full featured key generation
dialog.
	GnuPG needs to construct a user ID to identify your key.
	Real name: kleo sixteenOfour

	Email address: kleo at test.key

	You selected this USER-ID:

	    "kleo sixteenOfour "
	Change (N)ame, (E)mail, or (O)kay/(Q)uit? o

	We need to generate a lot of random bytes. It is a good idea to
perform

	some other action (type on the keyboard, move the mouse, utilize the

	disks) during the prime generation; this gives the random number

	generator a better chance to gain enough entropy.

	gpg: agent_genkey failed: Not supported

	Key generation failed: Not supported
	londo at londo-earth-trinket:~$ gpg2 --full-gen-key

	gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.11; Copyright (C) 2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

	Please select what kind of key you want:

	   (1) RSA and RSA (default)

	   (2) DSA and Elgamal

	   (3) DSA (sign only)

	   (4) RSA (sign only)

	Your selection? 1

	RSA keys may be between 1024 and 4096 bits long.

	What keysize do you want? (2048)

	Requested keysize is 2048 bits

	Please specify how long the key should be valid.

	         0 = key does not expire

	        = key expires in n days

	      w = key expires in n weeks

	      m = key expires in n months

	      y = key expires in n years

	Key is valid for? (0)

	Key does not expire at all

	Is this correct? (y/N) y

	Email address: kleo at test.key

	Comment: local keysigning only

	You selected this USER-ID:

	    "kleo sixteenOfour (local keysigning only) "
	Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit? o

	We need to generate a lot of random bytes. It is a good idea to
perform

	some other action (type on the keyboard, move the mouse, utilize the

	disks) during the prime generation; this gives the random number

	generator a better chance to gain enough entropy.

	gpg: agent_genkey failed: Not supported

	Key generation failed: Not supported

	londo at londo-earth-trinket:~$
	=====[end quoted terminal]=====