gpg: [don't know]: 1st length byte missing

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Oct 22 13:18:02 CEST 2017

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 17:38, felix.klee at inka.de said:
> See the attached file. When I try to decrypt it using `gpg -d`, I get:
>
>     gpg: [don't know]: 1st length byte missing

The data is corrupted.  It consists of a probably corrected public key
encrypted packet (with the encrypted session key) followed by a single
byte 0xD2 which indicates the encrypted data packet.  However this is
the last byte of the data and the length bytes as well as as the header
of the encrypted data packet is missing.

I can't tell why this message was truncated.  Its truncated length is
512 + 16.  I hope you have a backup.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner