Verify that the file is from who I expect it to be from

Antony Prince antony at blazrsoft.com
Fri Oct 27 04:08:15 CEST 2017

You need to verify the key that signed it. A valid signature means nothing. A malicious actor could sign any message or days with a valid, verifiable key and send it to you. The heart of the matter is the key that signed it. Gnupg tells you which key signed the data, usually by long key ID IIRC. You have to make sure the key that signed the data is the key that you expect, basically. If you need something more in-depth, there are many more qualified individuals to assist on the list.