[Feature Request] Multiple level subkey

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Sep 12 21:07:57 CEST 2017

> i think my user-case if one of the most common, especially if we want
> to create something like a state-provided identity...

Until and unless you present a usability study involving 100+ people
composing a representative sample of an identifiable community, you
don't know a thing.

Over the last 25 years I cannot count the number of people who were sure
their use case was common, or their pet idea would result in widespread
GnuPG usage, or what-have-you.  And without exception, not one has been
successful.

I understand you have a belief that your use case is common.  Until and
unless you present a study showing that it actually *is* common, I will
not share in your belief.  I suspect many people here share in this
sentiment.

>> Please don't default to using a woman as the canonical example
> non-technical/clueless user.
>
> AFAIK housewife does not have any male translation, so it is
> technically genderless :)

Househusband.  English has used this word since 1858.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/househusband

Either way, please don't use housewives or househusbands as examples of
"clueless users".  They are far from it.  They may lack sophisticated
technical skills, but that's not the same as being foolish or clueless.

If you want people to use your product, you need to start by respecting
your users.

> Sterile discussion aside, lets agree on a real definition like Average
> Internet User, or AIU for short.

No.  Big, emphatic, *NO*.

There is no average user.  Please repeat that sentence until it sticks.
There is no average user.  Average users don't exist.  They're myths.
Unicorns.  And if you design for an average user, you're going to make
it a poor experience for essentially everyone.

During WW2, the United States government spent a lot of money doing
measurements of fighter pilots.  Height, weight, build, length of arms,
length of legs, size of their hands, and more.  With all this data they
built cockpits that would be comfortable for 90% of pilots.  Pilots
hated their cockpits because they were terribly uncomfortable.  Real
people fell outside of the 90% mark in at least a few categories.  In
the course of making a cockpit that would fit almost everyone
comfortably, it fit almost no one comfortably.

Modern fighter jets have instead embraced customizability.  The American
F-15E fighter can accommodate pilots from 5'4" to 6'6" (1.62m to 1.98m),
a variety of builds, reaches, and more.  By recognizing there was no
such thing as an average pilot, the designers opened the door to make a
cockpit that was comfortable for the vast majority of users.

Your "average internet user" is a 1940s-style way of thinking.  We need
to do better than that.