Houston, we have a problem

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu Sep 21 22:13:56 CEST 2017

> I'm not certain what problem you see that has not been around for as
> long as PGP/GPG exists? You can only ever be certain of a signature if
> you have personally verified the signing key and the signer's identity.
> That's why the default owner trust level is "unknown" (not trusted).

About 25 years ago I first saw the suggestion that signatures from
unvalidated certificates should simply not be visible to the end-user,
as a signature from an unvalidated certificate is meaningless and the
risk of people believing "oh, Frank (or whoever) signed this!" is so high.

(A command of --list-all-sigs would need to be added, to force display
of signatures from unvalidated certificates.)

I've thought it was a good idea ever since I first saw it.  I have
always been in a distinct minority, though...