dirmngr timeout

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Apr 18 22:02:19 CEST 2018

Hi Laszlo--

I'm afraid we don't know the details of how your docker instance is set
up; which versions of which packages you have installed inside docker
vs. outside of docker, what's bind-mounted, what the networking
constraints are in place.  this makes debugging remotely a bit more
difficult.

On Fri 2018-04-13 15:29:50 +0100, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> gpg: connecting dirmngr at '/home/nic/.gnupg/S.dirmngr' failed: IPC connect call failed
> gpg: keyserver receive failed: No dirmngr

if a standard user runtime dir is mounted on /run/user/$UID , the
dirmngr socket could be mounted there.  It sounds like that is probably
not mounted, so gpg is falling back to the socket location in the home
directory.

but if no dirmngr is running listening on the expected socket, then gpg
normally tries to launch it itself.

for example, i'd expect to see the following:

    gpg-connect-agent: no running Dirmngr - starting '/usr/bin/dirmngr'
    gpg-connect-agent: waiting for the dirmngr to come up ... (5s)
    gpg-connect-agent: waiting for the dirmngr to come up ... (4s)
    gpg-connect-agent: connection to dirmngr established

But i don't see that in your logs.  What version of GnuPG is installed?

how did dirmnger get installed on this docker system?  how did gpg
itself get installed?

what is the output of:

     gpgconf --list-dirs

(within the docker instance, that is)