Encrypt USB-HDD with LUKS using OpenPGP smartcard?

Dirk Gottschalk dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 1 18:16:36 CEST 2018

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 01.08.2018, 18:06 +0200 schrieb Peter Lebbing:
> On 01/08/18 17:41, Dirk Gottschalk via Gnupg-users wrote:
> > Is it possible to encrypt an external USB drive in LUKS format with
> > an
> > OpenPGP smartcard?
>
> On a system with systemd: no, I don't think this can be done. Systemd
> doesn't want to implement cryptsetup keyscripts, and those would be
> needed.
>
> On a different system: it depends. What system are we talking about?
> :-)

I am using Fedora and it uses SystemD. On the other hanjd, the HDD is
mounted when plugged in via GVFS and Gnome asks for the passphrase or
reads it from gnome's keyring. Coult this be raplaces by the smartcard
to use the gpg key in some way?

I tried to use g13 with dm-crypt, but this seems not to work on Frdora
for an unknown reason.

Regards,
Dirk

--
Dirk Gottschalk
Paulusstrasse 6-8

GPG: DDCB AF8E 0132 AA54 20AB  B864 4081 0B18 1ED8 E838
Keybase.io: https://keybase.io/dgottschalk
GitHub: https://github.com/Dirk1980ac