Encrypt USB-HDD with LUKS using OpenPGP smartcard?

Damien Cassou damien at cassou.me
Thu Aug 2 07:28:41 CEST 2018

Dirk Gottschalk via Gnupg-users <gnupg-users at gnupg.org> writes:
> Is it possible to encrypt an external USB drive in LUKS format with an
> OpenPGP smartcard? The device is, until now, only passphrase encrypted
> and mounted on detect.
>
> Would it be possible to let gpg ask for the PIN of the card, it it's in
> locket state?

what I do is to have the external HDD encryption passphrase in a GnuPG
encrypted file of my main hard disk. Then, a bash script takes care of
(1) getting the passphrase from the encrypted file, (2) mount the
external disk with the passphrase. That way, you can use your smartcard.

All my passwords are in GnuPG encrypted files and handled by
https://www.passwordstore.org/.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st