How to use *.pub/*.sec files to encrypt/decrypt another file?

Kynn Jones kynnjo at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 15:57:07 CET 2018

I created a pair of *.pub and *.sec files using the instructions and code
given here:

https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/Unattended-GPG-key-generation.html

(I am using this documentation because the ultimate application I have in
mind is an automated encryption/decryption pipeline.)

How can use gpg2 and the *.pub file to encrypt another file?  And how can I
use gpg2 and the companion *.sec to decrypt the result of that last
encryption?

Any pointers to relevant documentation would greatly appreciated.  I've
never been so lost when learning about a piece of software as I am with
gpg2.

Thanks in advance!