A question about WKD

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Sat Dec 29 20:50:02 CET 2018

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 20:18:54 +0100, Wiktor Kwapisiewicz via Gnupg-users wrote:
> On 29.12.2018 15:48, Stefan Claas wrote:

> Just create more files in .well-known/openpgpkey/hu directory.

Ah, o.k. thanks!

> I didn't follow how you set it up initially but you can grab the file name
> (hash) using this command:
>
> $ gpg --with-wkd -k KEY
>
> Substitute KEY with key ID or an email, etc.
>
> For example  for me it prints the following line of hash:
>
> gebusffkx9g581i6ch4t3ewgwd6dctmp at metacode.biz
>
> If you export binary key to .well-known/openpgpkey/hu and name it
> "gebusffkx9g581i6ch4t3ewgwd6dctmp" (no quotes, no extension, just like that)
> then it would work.

I did the same steps.

> WKS is not needed. Actually WKS is only when you want users to manage their keys
> using their e-mail client. I know other people that manage WKD differently, e.g.
> Gentoo has a strict set of known keys and they update their WKD directory with a
> cron job (so developers update the key on keyservers and WKD is automatically
> refreshed).

Good to know! :-)

> I did a small proof-of-concept checker for small deployments, that you may find
> useful: https://metacode.biz/openpgp/web-key-directory

That is very interesting! I checked Werner's, yours and my key.

With yours everything is fine, with Werner's there is one issue and
with mine the same issue as with Werner's and also it says with my key that
it is ASCII armored, which is not the case because i exported as binary.

I ask also several people on Win / Mac boxes which could get my key
via WKD. You could also fetch my key with your latest GnuPG version,
under Linux, IIRC.

Regards
Stefan