gpg - difference --encrypt-to and --recipient

Dirk Gottschalk dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 31 07:17:21 CET 2018

Hello.

Am Sonntag, den 30.12.2018, 22:40 +0100 schrieb Stefan Claas:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 18:05:37 +0100, Gernot Pokorny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > What is the difference between --encrypt-to and --recipient and
> > what are the advantages and disadvantages of using one over the
> > other, which one should you use for encrypting your own files and
> > what does the following mean?

> > --encrypt-to ... The key specified by name is used only when there
> > are other recipients given by the user or by use of the option
> > recipient. ...

> Simply said you put encrypt-to, with your key-id, in your gpg.conf
> and when you do a gpg --recipient yourfriend it encrypts to your
> friend and also to you.

Yes, that's correct. Anyways, I prefer using the --hidden-recipient for
this purpose. That prevents the disclosure of the communication paths
with pure GPG-Packet analysis.

Regards,
Dirk

--
Dirk Gottschalk
Paulusstrasse 6-8

GPG: DDCB AF8E 0132 AA54 20AB  B864 4081 0B18 1ED8 E838
Keybase.io: https://keybase.io/dgottschalk
GitHub: https://github.com/Dirk1980ac