How can we utilize latest GPG from RPM repository?

edgar at pettijohn-web.com edgar at pettijohn-web.com
Thu Feb 15 16:47:21 CET 2018

On Feb 15, 2018 9:06 AM, "Lightner, Jeffrey" <JLightner at dsservices.com> wrote:

> What you’re missing is WHY you want a later upstream version.   Is there a specific feature you’re needing that isn’t in the one that comes with your distro?
>

> You can’t have it both ways:  You want to stay on a stable distro/version which is the raison d’etre for RHEL/CentOS but want to have the latest package.    As I noted in my prior post you can get the latest of everything by abandoning CentOS in favor of Fedora at the expense of stability.    Your choice of distro is based on many factors.   Some people even build their own packages all from scratch because they don’t like any of the distros.

Just to add a little extra. Say you have 12 machines. Use one as your build box and just build and install to a fake root tar it up and untar it on the rest of the machines. Make a few simple scripts to keep track of what files are associated with each "package" so you can easily delete them later. Most distros packaging systems are too difficult in my humble opinion. Plus you will get the software you want built to your needs.