Modernizing Web-of-trust for Organizations

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Sun Feb 18 10:55:52 CET 2018

On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 08:47:29AM -0800, Lou Wynn wrote:
> On 01/04/2018 02:28 PM, Ben McGinnes wrote:
> > It seems to me, though, that the idea was to provide a means for the
> > company to repudiate an employee's key even if the employee was no
> > longer available.
>
> This is just one of the benefits enabled by my goals which I stated at
> the beginning, and it is most related to central management of keys.

I see ...

> There are systems that have attempted to solve one or two of them with
> the cost of sacrificing others. My take is doing them all with the new
> trust model and its supporting mechanisms.

So you took a system built from the outset on a security model founded
entirely on public key exchanges between distributed and federated
(both self-determining and self-governing) nodes ... and then spent a
considerable amount of time and effort making that system centralised
in order to meet certain types of common business use cases ...

... with a software package which ships with a complete implementation
of S/MIME as well ...

Hmm ...

Okay, I just have one question:

*Why?!*