GPG encryption and decryption takes excessive time.

Green, Ian Ian.Green at cartesian.com
Mon Feb 19 14:30:06 CET 2018

Hi
Firstly, my knowledge of GPG is very weak and I am not a UNIX administrator, so my access and knowledge are rather limited.

I have been asked to set up file encryption / decryption of files transferred between our SUN OS servers and two customer's servers.
One customer is using a basic 2048 size key, the other a 3072 key.
GPG has been installed and I have created my keys per the requirements of the clients and imported their keys without issues.
I can encrypt files for them Ok and can decrypt the files they send me.

However, the time taken to encrypt and decrypt each file is colossal - between 6 (2048 key files) and 15 seconds (3072 key files)  per file.

I have set this up on two different local servers (same OS) and get the same results.

The server details are:  SunOS ioponnet-kn-t1 5.10 Generic_142909-17 sun4v sparc sun4v

I have tried recreating the keys locally, but no change.
The other party says that encryption / decryption at their end takes in the order of 50ms per file.

Can anyone suggest anything to help reduce the time to something more viable?

Thanks
Ian

This message and any attachments are private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system without copying or distributing.

Cartesian Limited is registered in England and Wales with number 3230513. Registered office: Descartes House, 8 Gate Street, London, WC2A 3HP.

www.cartesian.com<http://www.cartesian.com>