Solaris 11 install libgpg-error/libgcrypt make install hangs

Ben McGinnes ben at adversary.org
Wed Feb 21 04:05:30 CET 2018

On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 03:35:13PM +0000, Anna Kitces and Seth Fishman wrote:
> Hi
>
> I ran ./configure, make, make check and entered make install over an
> hour ago

That seems a bit long.

> the make check was clean

Cool.

> If I hit ctrl-C, how do I proceed?
>
> I am installing all the latest.
>
> Trying to get GnuPG installed and these are pre-reqs
>
> I am not a developer so not sure the impact of cancelling a make
> install. do I need to do an uninstall?

Nope.

> Sorry but kind of at a loss on what to do.

Yeah, fair enough.  Since the make check was clean you can just try
running make install again (presumably you are doing that part as
root) and seeing if it completes.  If it does, great; if it doesn't
and just seems to hang then either post any reported errors here or
try moving on to the next library.  Eventually there will be a package
that has it as a dependency and if this install didn't actually work
you'll find out during the configure stage of the one to have it as a
dependency.

There's a reasonable chance it has actually installed, but done
something silly in reporting that fact during the installation.
Proceeding won't really hurt because the worst case scenario is just
going back to this point in the installation process and doing it
again.  It doesn't matter if binaries and libs are copied over during
a subsequent installation attempt since that's precisely how upgrades
occur anyway.

Regards,
Ben