enigmail with pgp 2.2.4

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Feb 22 21:17:50 CET 2018

On 22/02/18 18:10, Dmitry Gudkov wrote:
> problem solved by configuring Enigmail to use the new gnupg location in
> /usr/local/bin/gpg (in the "Preferences" dialog, "Basic" tab, override
> the default setting /usr/bin/gpg2)

While my mind was idly mulling this over, I suddenly wondered if what
you are doing is even supposed to work at all. I think perhaps you just
haven't discovered the dire consequences of it yet.

GnuPG 1.4 and 2.0 are co-installable, and will happily work installed on
the same system.

GnuPG 1.4 and 2.1+ are in the basis co-installable, but still can
present you with issues like keyrings going out of sync or requiring
careful crafting of configuration files, off the top of my head.

But 2.0 and 2.1+ are definitely not co-installable. You can't have them
both on the same system. Right now you put GnuPG 2.2 and its
dependencies in /usr/local, but GnuPG 2.0 and its dependencies are still
in /usr. Their dependencies might start to mingle.

The only way in which this might work is if I misinterpreted "not
co-installable", and 2.0 in /usr and 2.1+ in /usr/local is not actually
an instance of "co-installation". But I don't think that's the case. It
might also work by pure chance and break horribly on the next update.

A solution, where GnuPG 2.1+ is statically linked against its
dependencies, was discussed here:
<https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2018-February/059969.html>

Werner introduced the partial static linking in the just released 2.2.5.

Oh, and by the way, a little housekeeping information... You started
your thread on the mailing list by replying to a completely unrelated
thread (wotmate: simple grapher for your keyring). Could you please
start a new thread the next time? Just address a message to
<gnupg-users at gnupg.org> instead of replying to an existing message.
Those of us with a threading view of the mailing list now see it as
somehow being a part of the "wotmate: simple grapher for your keyring"
thread, but they bare no relation whatsoever.

HTH,

Peter.