entropy gathering daemon

edgar at pettijohn-web.com edgar at pettijohn-web.com
Wed Feb 28 15:53:47 CET 2018

On Feb 28, 2018 8:22 AM, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> wrote:

> On Sun,  4 Feb 2018 08:44, edgar at pettijohn-web.com said:
>
> > Is it no longer possible to use egd? Most of the info I can find seems
>
> If Libgcrypt has been configured with EGD support this should still
> work.  I have not tested it for more than a decade, though.
>
> Why do you want to use it?  Which OS does not support /dev/random and
> why don't you want to use the fallback rndunix driver in Libgcrypt.
>

> Shalom-Salam,
>
>    Werner

I overlooked the configure switches. Got it working. The use case is for chroot'd programs that need it on a filesystem mounted nodev. I sent some patches awhile back to add arc4random_buf as the entropy gathering 'device'. Which I've been using with no problems since. And it's a little faster than going through the egd.

Thanks,

Edgar