trouble listing keys in my private-keys-v1.d directory

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Tue Jan 2 17:04:14 CET 2018

Hi,

On 01/02/2018 01:43 PM, Maarten Nieber via Gnupg-users wrote:
> My hypothesis is that somehow, by creating a few extra keys today, my previous openpgp key is not visible anymore. Can somebody explain why that might be the case, and help me to repair this?

My first guess would be that pass was using gpg2, while you started
using gpg which on your system is probably gpg 1.4.

The location of both the public and private keys has changed in the
history of GnuPG (basically: public keys were stored in pubring.gpg in
GnuPG <= 2.0, and in pubring.kbx from GnuPG 2.1, while private keys were
stored in secring.gpg in GnuPG 1.x, and in private-keys-v1.d from GnuPG
2.0+). If gpg is gpg 1.x on your system, this could explain why you
don't see your pass private key when you call gpg --list-keys.

Can you check precisely which version(s) of GnuPG are available on your
system?

   $ gpg --version
   $ gpg2 --version

As for pass complaining about the "unusable public key", that could be
the result of the trustdb having been updated by gpg 1.4 (which did not
know that the private key for 89F615FB was available, and therefore has
marked the corresponding public key as untrusted instead of having
ultimate trust).

If that's the case, the best option would probably be to stop using the
old gpg 1.4 and use only gpg2.

Damien