Tool: Sherpa: (Re: Import keys from .gnupg folder)

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Jan 8 17:38:33 CET 2018

On Mon 2018-01-08 11:35:33 +0100, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Sonntag 07 Januar 2018 17:39:39 schrieb Robert J. Hansen:
>> Obligatory drum beating: I wrote a tool, Sherpa, to help ease migration
>> between different GnuPG versions.
>>
>> https://rjhansen.github.io/sherpa/
>
> Mentioned in the wiki now, at
>   https://wiki.gnupg.org/Tools
>
> Would be interesting to know what the experiences of other people are
> (and why sherpa is not considered ready for regular users yet.)

note that there are two things that could/should be migrated when moving
to 2.1.x or later (the "modern" development branch of GnuPG):

 * secret keys (from secring.gpg to private-keys-v1.d/*.key --should
   happen automatically)

 * public keys (from pubring.gpg to pubring.kbx)

public key migration currently does not happen automatically because the
"modern" branch can use both pubring.gpg and pubring.kbx, and there is
an (i believe misguided) desire to facilitate co-installation of the
"classic" branch with the "modern" branch.

debian's GnuPG packaging supplies
/usr/bin/migrate-pubring-from-classic-gpg which should handle the full
migration in a safe way and leave the user without any legacy
pubring.gpg.

Regards,

          --dkg