Obtaining Key Stubs From Smartcard - Solved

Bagel Alderman bagel.alderman at protonmail.com
Tue Jan 9 17:14:13 CET 2018

I stumbled across my answer. I didn't realize the public key was necessary for the private key stubs to appear with "gpg2 -K" and become usable. It turns out my system *was* registering the stubs under ~/.gnupg/private-keys-v1.d/, probably the whole time.

All I needed to do was to import my public key to make the stubs from either of my smart cards useful.

Thanks again for all your help, I know it often isn't easy working with someone as new to a technology as I am to GnuPG.