Hide UID From Public Key Server By Poison Your Key?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Jan 15 08:13:50 CET 2018

> Let's say, you have accidentally associated your
> real name to the key under your online name and
> upload it to public key server, which allows
> anyone to connect your online identity to the
> person in real life.

Uh -- how?

There is no mechanism in the keyserver to do this.  That's why you have
to validate certificates you receive from the keyserver.  The fact
there's a UID named "Robert J. Hansen <rjh at sixdemonbag.org>" on key
0xB44427C7 provides you with precisely *zero* evidence that I'm Rob
Hansen or that Rob Hansen even exists.  For all you know my name is
Maurice Micklethorpe.

> Since you can never remove
> anything from the public key server, You are
> wondering if you can add something to it -- for
> example, add another 100 of UIDs with other
> people's real name and emails so people can not
> find out which one is yours, and append another
> 100 of digital signature so people get tired
> before figure out which one is from valid user.

I rarely use language like this, but this time I think it's warranted:

This is a total dick move.  Don't do this.  You'll make yourself a lot
of enemies, and if you pick the wrong real names and emails, some of
those people are pretty damn good at figuring out what's going on.

Don't put real names and emails belonging to other people on your cert.
It's *rude*.  If someone goes looking for "Robert J. Hansen
<rjh at sixdemonbag.org>" I want them to see one cert is newest and I want
them to use that one.  If you go about putting my name and email address
on your cert, I'm going to get cross.

Again: this is a total dick move.  Don't do this.