Why exactly does pinentry fails with gpg-agent and ssh support?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Jan 22 12:53:45 CET 2018

On Mon 2018-01-22 11:52:21 +0100, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> It works for me out-of-the-box on Debian stretch/stable, supervised by
> systemd... if I SSH before I do any GnuPG stuff, it correctly prompts me
> in the (graphical) session that started the agent. So something must be
> different in your installation.

It may also depend on how the session itself is started.  Maybe one of
you is starting the user session in non-graphical mode (either a vt
login, or maybe ssh?), while the other one is starting it directly from
a graphical display manager?

do you have dbus-user-session installed?  (it is recommended)

   --dkg