Why exactly does pinentry fails with gpg-agent and ssh support?

André Colomb andre at colomb.de
Wed Jan 24 20:34:45 CET 2018

On 2018-01-22 18:06, André Colomb wrote:
>> the systemd user service takes care of automatically launching the
>> gpg-agent when the user connects to it via the ssh-agent protocol, so
>> this isn't required when using systemd.
>
> I can't see how it does that in my packaged Ubuntu version (2.1.15),
> there is no gpg-agent.socket unit file anywhere?

Seems like the relevant systemd unit file examples were added in commit
57e95f5413e21cfcb957af2346b292686a5647b7, shortly after 2.1.15 (included
in Debian / Ubuntu) was released.

As far as I can see, the new socket-activated user units should be
installed with current packages in Debian testing and Ubuntu bionic.  I
might try manually upgrading to 2.2.4-1ubuntu1 and report any findings.

Regards
André
--
Greetings...