Generating NIST/Brainpool subkeys with GPGME

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Jul 2 08:37:15 CEST 2018

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018 22:07, tookmund at gmail.com said:
> It appears that one cannot currently generate NIST or Brainpool subkeys
> with GPGME. Using GPG itself works fine with --expert, so am I missing
> an option or is this simply not possible yet?

That is likely a bug.  However there is an easy workaround:

> ./eccsubkeys brainpoolP384r1

In contrast to the cv25519 and ed25519 curves this (and the NIST curves)
don't have an implict algorithm.  Thus gpg tries to deduce this from the
usage parameter but that seems not to work.  What you hsould do is to
make it explicit:

  ./eccsubkeys brainpoolP384r1/ecdsa sign

You can test this also without GPGME:

  gpg --quick-add-key F5CA66142BAEAFD2BEBF37C0937DDA086A0B7A36 \
      brainpoolP384r1/ecdsa sign

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
#  Please read:  Daniel Ellsberg - The Doomsday Machine  #