Forwarding both gpg and ssh agents

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Mon Jul 16 14:56:48 CEST 2018

On 16/07/18 11:36, Chris Coutinho wrote:
> I have a few remotes where I would also like to forward my ssh-agent so
> that I can make a third connection to a remote machine using my local
> ssh-agent (through gpg-agent). Specifically, I'm trying to ssh into a
> FreeBSD remote, and from there connect to a third remote git server
> using the ssh credentials from my local machine.
>
> Is this functionality available?

Yes, but remember you have to enable ssh-agent support on your local
machine and forward both gpg and ssh agents separately down the full
chain of connections. You can't patch one into the other at some
intermediate stage, it has to be at your end.

So long as you have agent forwarding enabled at each step in the chain,
you should be able to forward it through an unlimited number of chained
hops.

I use this arrangement myself every day, and have written some (basic)
documentation for internal use in my company. Let me know if you need
any further help.

--
Andrew Gallagher