Timestamping signed documents or detached signature files

Stefan Claas stefan.claas at posteo.de
Sat Jul 21 06:59:59 CEST 2018

Hi all,

while i have the option, for example with the free Adobe Acrobat DC
Reader, to sign my .pdf documents with my x.509 certificate and
use a timestamp service, i thought why not give GnuPG a try.

So i googled a bit and found this service, which uses the Bitcoin
blockchain to store the timestamp proof.

https://opentimestamps.org

One can simply do a gpg --clearsign doc.txt && ots stamp
doc.txt.asc, or gpg --detach-sign myfile && ots stamp myfile.sig. :-)

Of course one can also use their web interface.

Maybe you find this little info useful too, because i have not seen
this topic discussed here yet. I'm aware that there is or was an
old Timestamping Service in England available, but i thought
that the blockchain is cool.

Regards
Stefan
--