gpg2

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Wed Jun 27 07:26:37 CEST 2018

On 6/27/2018 5:10 AM, Aaron Tovo wrote:
> 'gpg2 -k' gives me the following error:
>
>      $ gpg2 -k
>      gpg: invalid item 'BZIP2' in preference string
>      gpg: invalid default preferences
>
> But 'gpg -k' works fine. However, I to use gpg2 in my
> Thunderbird-with-Enigmail email client because I've read in a few places
> that gpg2 is better for desktop purposes
> <https://linux.die.net/man/1/gpg2>. Also, Enigmail rejects gpg because
> /usr/bin/gpg is 'out of date' (meaning it's not gpg2, I think) and seems
> to REALLY want gpg2.
>
> The error message makes it sound like the problem is in my gpg2
> configuration. I don't see any zip settings in .gnupg2/gpg.conf nor do I
> see a 'preferences string'.
>
> I'm not sure when this started happening because I've been going without
> Enigmail for a while on this computer.
>
> How can I correct the preference string?

Some hints:

1)  Do you have 'BZIP2' in .gnupg/gpg.conf in the preference string?

$ grep -n 'BZIP2' .gnupg/gpg.conf

If the above grep command prints something to the screen try removing
'BZIP2' from the file.

2)  If you do:

$ gpg2 --version

look at the gpg.conf found in the directory specified by the line 'Home:
...'.

3)  If you pass the option '--homedir' to gpg2 you should look in the
gpg.conf found in that directory.

--
John Doe