Pinentry does not show "please insert smartcard" dialog

Sebastian Wiesinger sebastian at karotte.org
Wed Jun 27 09:42:08 CEST 2018

Hello,

I'm using pinentry (GTK2) on my Xubuntu. My authentication key is
saved on a Yubikey4. Pinentry does work when the key is inserted and
displays the PIN entry dialog just fine.

What doesn't work is the "please insert smartcard" dialog when the key
is not plugged in. I manually added the correct keygrip to the
sshcontrol file but this does not work. On my MacOS the same config
does display the "insert smartcard" dialog.

Any idea why it doesn't work on my Linux system or how to find out? I
already tried multiple debug options but no helpful info showed up in
the logs.

Version:

Xubuntu 17.10

ii  pinentry-gtk2         1.0.0-2         amd64
$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 2.1.15
libgcrypt 1.7.8

Kind Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant