GPG is not working because of gpg.conf

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Mar 6 09:53:01 CET 2018

On Mon,  5 Mar 2018 19:30, ben at adversary.org said:

> Good to know, but will a version of GPG always select the highest in a
> listor the closest number to its own version number if there's not an
> exact match?

No, the algorithm views the version as a string simply trims the
dot/dash delimted parts one after the other until it finds an _exact_
match.

> Now if I'm using 1.4.21, will it select the closest version number
> (1.4.20) or the highest (1.4.23)?

It will use 1.4

Note that there is another compatibility feature which can be used to
ignore errors due to new options.  For example:

ignore-invalid-option  foo bar
verbose
foo

Here foo is an option only available in 2.3.0 but you want to use this
gpg.conf also with gpg 2.2.5.  The ignore-invalid-option meta option
will silently ignore unknown options named "foo" or "bar".  Multiple
ignore-invalid-option lines are cumulative.

This feature is available since 1.4.13 and 2.0.20 .

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

--
#  Please read:  Daniel Ellsberg - The Doomsday Machine  #