Efail or OpenPGP is safer than S/MIME

Lars Noodén lars.nooden at gmail.com
Mon May 14 19:57:36 CEST 2018

On 05/14/2018 08:32 PM, Werner Koch wrote:
[snip]
> I am all in favor of this and even considered to that some time ago.
> However, not too long ago we removed support for PGP-2 keys which
> unfortunately resulted in lots of angry mails from people who now think
> they need to use gnupg 1.4 every day because they seem to read mails
> From the last century on a regular base.
[snip]

How feasible would it be to strip or disable encryption in a fork of an
old version and just leave it capable of decryption?  And would that
address their use-cases for the old mails while dealing with the
security concerns arising from the outdated ciphers?  So it could be a
gnupg-encore fork for archival purposes.

/Lars