Breaking MIME concatenation

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Thu May 17 22:42:52 CEST 2018

> given that the OS package verification use case is relevant for
> millions
> of server installations, i'm not convinced that Linux on the Desktop is
> really what rjh was referring to.
>
>        --dkg

dkg got it in one.  Especially with the advent of cloud computing and
one-click deployments of whole OSes, the package verification space is
bigger than ever before.

I don't have concrete numbers here, but my suspicion is that GnuPG is a
package verification system that's useful for email... and most of the
problems people have with it as a package verification system stem from
the fact it was originally an email privacy system.

This isn't a mark against it.  Any good software package will soon get
used for things far beyond the authors' original intent.