Duplicate personal key in keyring

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu
Mon May 21 18:25:24 CEST 2018

Through some unknown series of events, I now have two copies of my
personal gpg key in my keyring.  I double-checked to see if GPG is
seeing the same key in two keyrings (maybe reading a backup), but both
keys are being read from the same keyring.

This leads me to two questions:

1) How could this happen in the first place?

2) How can I fix this, short of generating a new key and revoking the
existing key?

I've tried backing up the keyring and deleting one copy, but it
deleted both copies.  I searched online for anyone else who had a
similar issue, and came up empty, except for one person who was seeing
the same key from two files.

Any help is appreciated.  As a last resort I could revoke the key and
generate a new one, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,
Justin Hibbits