Relocating pubring.kbx in gpg.conf

Damien Goutte-Gattat dgouttegattat at incenp.org
Tue May 22 11:27:56 CEST 2018

On 05/22/2018 07:58 AM, Konstantin Boyandin via Gnupg-users wrote:
> primary-keyring ~/mounted/gnupg/pubring.gpg
> secret-keyring ~/mounted/gnupg/secring.gpg
> trustdb-name ~/mounted/gnupg/trustdb.gpg
> keyring ~/mounted/gnupg/pubring.gpg
> but I see no obvious directives to relocate pubring.kbx

You can use the keyring option as well, which works both for the old
keyring format (.gpg) and the new keybox format (.kbx). You might want
to combine that with the 'no-default-keyring' option, to prevent GnuPG
from systematically create the default $GNUPGHOME/pubring.kbx.

Note, however, that with GnuPG ≥ 2.1 the 'secret-keyring' option no
longer has any effect. Modern GnuPG no longer uses a secret keyring
file, private keys are handled by the Agent which always store them in
$GNUPGHOME/private-keys-v1.d.

> - my only option, so it seems, remains relocating the entire
> configuration directory.

Given that in your current configuration your private keys are *not*
stored where you think they are (because 'secret-keyring' is ignored as
stated above), this is indeed as far as I know your only option.

Damien