Breaking changes

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Wed May 23 02:21:54 CEST 2018

> If the announced end-of-life is 12 months, then people will complain for
> 9 months, and maybe start working on migrating during the last 3 months.

You're an optimist.  For any EOL date, a vast number of users will
simply *not migrate* until they stop getting updates.  The reason why is
they're not subscribed to mailing lists.  We could announce tomorrow's
lottery numbers and they wouldn't notice.

I'm fine with a 12-month EOL date.  It's more important that an EOL date
be made and enforced than it be any particular date.  Whether it's three
months, six months, twelve, I don't care, *so long as it gets done*.