Installing a new version of GnuPG

Konstantin Boyandin lists at boyandin.info
Tue May 29 16:39:29 CEST 2018

Hi,

This (doing 'make' and 'make install') is what I did from time to time
on Ubuntu (currently 16.04). I used default path/prefixes, and after
having installed it I rename GnuPG executable /usr/local/bin/gpg to
/usr/local/bin/gpg2

Since /usr/local/bin precedes other default PATH components, gpg2
invokes the manually built GnuPG 2.2.*. That allows me to keep the
gnupg2 package (it installs /usr/bin/gpg2; several other packages I use
depend on gnupg2), while actually using the manually built one. That
also prevents apt and certain other programs using /usr/bin/gpg from
breaking (when they import a key, for example).

So far, no problems with the above approach.

Sincerely,
Konstantin