GPG on Android

Juergen BRUCKNER juergen at bruckner.tk
Sat Nov 3 19:13:52 CET 2018

Hello Masha,

as you are new to this whole topic, I guess the easiest way to use
encrypted mail (either GPG and/or S/MIME) on a Android device would be
the app "MailDroid".
It comes in a free version[1] (with advertisings) and in a "pro"
version[2] (without advertisings) and supports both GPG and S/MIME.
MailDroid also supports POP and IMAP, and works fine with Googlemail.

You need to install the additional Flipdog CryptoPlugin[3] on your
device, where you import and manage the keys.
You have to create the keys for example on a desktop computer and import
it to your android device and into the CryptoPlugin.

I use MailDroid since several years without any problems, and can fully
recommend it for beginners.

There is also a app named "K-9 Mail"[4], which supports GPG (but not
S/MIME). As far I know you also need several additional software for K-9
Mail.
In my eyes its not really recommendable for beginners. I tried it years
ago and found it a bit complicated to use for myself. But thats a
personal opinion.

The best would be to try both, MailDroid and K-9 Mail and then make your
personal choice.
If you need help with MailDroid you can contact me. For K-9 Mail I am
sure that here are also some people who can help you with it.

best regards
Juergen

[1] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maildroid
[2] https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maildroid.pro