GPG on Android

vedaal at nym.hush.com vedaal at nym.hush.com
Mon Nov 5 02:44:38 CET 2018

On 11/4/2018 at 4:58 PM, "Roland" <siemons at cleanfuels.nl> wrote:

>Hello list,
>
>I share the wish for encrypted email on Android, but I am afraid
>of storing a secret key on my android phone. (theft, hacking,
>loss, etc)
>
>How do you feel about that?

=====

Exactly the same way.

Android phones (software) are made by Google.
Google archives data from every source connecting to one of its applications, Chrome, search engine, gmail, etc.

I don't trust them, and have no way of verifying any claim of what they do, or do not, store.

Also, if you have any app that required 'rooting' of your phone, then even Google doesn't trust it, and expressly says that it will not guarantee false (malicious) expenditures by Google Wallet.

So the 'rooted' app probably does have access to your android gnupg data.

Annoying, I know,  to not use gnupg on android, but prudently safe.

fwiw,  the gnupg apps work well on android, but I just don't trust the phone.

vedaal