OpenPGP key verification + legal framework

Viktor ageyev at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 20:47:28 CET 2018

On 05/11/2018 21:12, Juergen Bruckner wrote:
> If I want an "independent" ID verification on my GPG key, I can also use
> CAcert. There the signing of GPG keys is offered for a long time.

Signing is easy. The difficult part is 1) to create a system in which
you can prove that the key really belongs to the user specified in the
userID 2) to make contracts singed by verified key legally recognizable
and enforceable.
We are working on 1) and 2)

For 1) I mean the case when users has signed a document or contract, and
after that this user claims that the signature was not made by his key.
In such case, I think signing keys on 'key signing party' is not
reliable. There must be a known key verification procedure, and a
permanent repository of information and documents that were used to
verify the key.

And we actually not sign keys. From two reasons:
a. If you automatically trust the signing key, compromising the signing
key breaks the entire system.
b. In many countries, generating or signing cryptographic keys requires
a license. We create a system that should work the same way and legally
in all countries. And we do not sign key certificates. We only attach to
them information about the owner of the key, which the user manually
checks before adding this certificate to his list of trusted certificates.

Best regards,
Viktor Ageyev
CEO/CTO, Cryptonomica.net