Update FAQ about revocation certificates?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Mon Nov 12 12:34:19 CET 2018

fwiw, i agree with Damien that the existing text in the FAQ about
generating a revocation certificate should be removed.

I think that there should be some text like "where can i find my key's
revocation certificate?" which could be added to the FAQ.

However, situations like these:

On Sat 2018-11-10 15:20:41 +0000, MFPA wrote:
> Not immediately after generating a new GnuPG certificate. But it
> probably still belongs under "some common best practices". A user
> might find they have deleted the auto-generated revocation
> certificate, or the disk where it is stored may have died. Or maybe a
> user is revoking a key and wants to generate a revocation certificate
> that gives a reason for the revocation.

Sound like corner cases to me, and they will clutter the FAQ.  The FAQ
is not designed to answer all possible situations (and certainly not
general file system management questions, etc).  It will be better
(clearer, simpler) if it is targeted on the truly frequently-asked
questions.  For the corner cases, there is the man page, and there is
DETAILS.gz, and there is the mailing list, and there is the source.

I salute Damien's effort to get the FAQ into a more maintainable and
accessible state.

   --dkg