Decrypting file - Private key issue

Ángel angel at pgp.16bits.net
Sat Oct 20 00:26:41 CEST 2018

On 2018-10-15 at 20:41 -0700, fel wrote:
> I'm trying to decrypt a file that I encrypted for myself. However gpg doesn't
> seem to recognize the correct private key.
>
> Here is the output of gpg --list-secret-keys
>
> sec   2048R/69258CF8 2015-09-17
> uid                  user
> ssb   2048R/EA31820A 2015-09-17
>

> Here is the the output of   gpg -vd -o OUTPUTFILE  ENCRYPTED_FILE
>
> gpg: public key is 4A83B612
> gpg: using subkey 4A83B612 instead of primary key 0BBBBDB3
> gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit RSA key, ID 4A83B612, created 2018-02-19
>       "user "
> gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

The file was encrypted to the key 4A83B612, but you don't have the
corresponding secret key. You only have the secret key for
69258CF8/EA31820A.

Is it possible that there are two different key pairs for that user?
(it was encrypted to one of them, but you only hold the private key for
the other)

Best regards