First smartcard operation always fails

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Tue Sep 4 10:11:55 CEST 2018

Hi, all.

I've had a pgp smartcard v2.1 for years now (two, actually), and I've
noticed that no matter what operation I perform, the first attempt after
inserting the card, or waking from sleep with the card inserted, fails.

Example:

```
andrewg at fred:~$ ssh my.server
sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed: agent refused operation
andrewg at my.server's password: ^C

andrewg at fred:~$ ssh my.server
Welcome to Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-92-lowlatency x86_64)
```

A similar thing happens with signing emails, and my signing and
authentication subkeys are distinct.

This has been bugging me for as long as I can remember, across different
machines, different software versions and OSes (Linux and Mac), and
using both smartcards.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

--
Andrew Gallagher