First smartcard operation always fails

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Thu Sep 20 18:53:32 CEST 2018

On 04/09/18 11:01, Peter Lebbing wrote:
> On 04/09/18 10:17, Andrew Gallagher wrote:
>> And I have just confirmed (by sending that mail) that both the first
>> auth operation AND the first signing operation fail, separately.
>
> I have no idea, it's quite curious. As an added bread crumb to follow:
> what do the PIN retry counters say after the failure? gpg --card-status.
>
> Do you always use the same reader? Perhaps it is the reader.

On further experimentation, it turns out it only happens with one of my
two cards, but does happen on multiple machines with multiple readers.
The signature counter increases every time. I can reproduce the sig
operation failure consistently, but not the auth operation.

Does this mean the card is unwittingly producing bad output on the first
attempt, and gpg (or scdaemon) is automatically retrying? Could this be
a manufacturing flaw in the card?

--
Andrew Gallagher