dirmngr cygwin resolv.conf

john doe johndoe65534 at mail.com
Fri Sep 21 11:02:55 CEST 2018

On 7/5/2018 12:18 PM, john doe wrote:
> On 7/4/2018 2:25 PM, Werner Koch wrote:
>> On Wed,  4 Jul 2018 09:11, gniibe at fsij.org said:
>>
>>> The patch is: Don't try to look the error code, but fallback TOR_PORT2
>>> always.
>>
>> I don't like this patch because it is not specific enough.
>>
>> If Cygwin really returns EPERM, than this is a bug in the Cygwin
>> emulation because all Unix systems (and actually all BSD sockets based
>> systems) return ECONNREFUSED.  We should not try to fix bugs for Cygwin
>> given that Cygwin is not offically supported.
>>

> What would it take to make Cygwin officially supported?

Thanks to the help on this mailing list I've been able to isolate the
issue that was bugging me:

I was trying to use the cygwinized version of dirmngr while having
gpg4win installed.
As soon as I removed 'gpg4win, Cygwin dirmngr is able to connect to TBB
for Windows.

So Cygwin returns the proper error code and gnupg can connect to TBB for
Windows without issue.

On Cygwin I use git and need to verify tags and commits using gpg but I
also use enigmail with gpg4win to verify e-mail signature.
When I need to use Cygwin dirmngr or gpg4win dirmngr, I do, 'gpgconf
--kill dirmngr' as a work around.
Is this approatche reasonable or how can I insure that gpg4win dirmngr
won't interfer with Cygwin dirmngr?

As an aside, gpg4win dirmngr is running as an processe.
I'd like dirmngr to use TBB for Windows instead  of Windows's DNS, is
'gpgconf --reload dirmngr' the correct way to reload dirmngr for it to
use TBB?

Thanks again to NIIBE Yutaka  and Werner Koch for their help.

--
John Doe