card-sized 4 Kbit RSA Smartcard recommendation with 3 slots

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Thu Apr 4 17:10:53 CEST 2019

On 04/04/2019 14:06, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> I'm looking for a recommendation for a cardsized 4 kbit RSA smartcard
> with 3 keyslots

Well, the ZeitControl card, which was the first OpenPGP Card on the
market, is now at version 3.3 which would seem to support what you ask
for.[1] I have no personal experience, I do have v2.0 cards (and v1.1).

I don't expect 4k RSA to be very snappy, though. You might want to
reconsider your choice of algorithm and/or length.

> At the moment I use yubikey but I aquired a laptop with a smartcard
> reader that I would like to use in order to free up an USB slot.

Be warned that there are many cardreaders that will not work with larger
keys (where "larger" can already mean 2k) or even work reliably at all
with free software. So your mileage may vary a lot.

HTH,

Peter.

[1] <https://www.floss-shop.de/en/security-privacy/smartcards/13/openpgp-smart-card-v3.3>