PGP Key Poisoner

U'll Be King Of The Stars ullbeking at andrewnesbit.org
Mon Aug 12 22:09:02 CEST 2019

On 12 August 2019 18:27:49 BST, Peter Lebbing <peter at digitalbrains.com> wrote:
>On 12/08/2019 18:39, Stefan Claas via Gnupg-users wrote:
>> Why was is then not fixed a decade ago, like it was done with 2.2.17?
>
>There is no fix for the SKS keyserver network, which explains why it
>wasn't fixed in 2.2.17 either. In fact, fixes have been deployed over
>the last several years. DANE, WKD, Autocrypt, work on
>keys.openpgp.org...

I still contend that a large subset of the most harmful factors in all of this are those awful GnuPG beginners tutorials that encourage the inexperienced new user to upload their new keys to keyservers.

I would love to fix this problem from this perspective.  Before too long I would like to determine if I can schedule time to work on it.  It's an important thing for an important project that I just happen to be particularly interested in.

>I thought this (there is no fix) was pretty solidly established by now
>on this mailing list and elsewhere?

The things I missed are:

- how to check and clean a user's local keyring

- how to update the user's local configuration in ~/.gnupg

Andrew