Difficulty of fixing reconciliation

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Tue Aug 13 14:56:47 CEST 2019

Peter Lebbing wrote:

[snip]

> Furthermore, the end goal is for all hosts to have the same dataset, so
> let's define progress as that the hosts become more and more alike: when
> the number of differences between the hosts has reduced, we have made
> progress. Once completed, it has progressed to the point where the
> number of differences is zero. As an aside, it has to be proven that we
> eventually progress to that point where they are the same, otherwise
> there could be a dataset that just keeps spinning, running the algorithm
> endlessly. In fact, it's well possible that this is where the
> monotonicity requirement plays a role.

[snip]

Good write-up. Now I have a question, in hope that SKS operators are
reading this too. I have learned from Robert's gist that the max. is
150.000 sigs per key the servers can handle, if I am not mistaken.

How do they handle the following:

Bob uploads his key from a key signing party with 100 sigs to server
A. Mallory and Eve attended the key signing party too and signed Bob's
key. Mallory uploads Bob's key with an additional 100k sigs on server B
and Eve does the same with server C.

Lets assume that server B and C syncs before A. What does server
B accepts then from C and vice versa, because of the 150k sig limit?

Will at the end server A, B and C have different key sets from Bob,
because of the 150k limit?

Regards
Stefan

--
box: 4a64758de9e8ceded2c481ee526440687fe2f3a828e3a813f87753ad30847b56
GPG: C93E252DFB3B4DB7EAEB846AD8D464B35E12AB77 (avail. on Hagrid, WKD)