how to recover secret key passphrase?

ilf ilf at zeromail.org
Sun Aug 18 18:06:13 CEST 2019

Over the years, I have used quite a number of keypairs. Unfortunately, I
have forgotten the passphrase for some of them. But I do know potential
parts of the passphrase.

What's the current recommended way to recover the passphrase of OpenPGP
private keys?

The classic John the Ripper includes a tool "gpg2john" to convert
ASCII-armored exported private keys to a format that john can work with:
http://blog.atucom.net/2015/08/cracking-gpg-key-passwords-using-john.html

However, to export a private key from the current private-keys-v1.d/
gpg-agent key store, I need my passphrase. Which I can't remember.

I would welcome any hints on how to achieve this.

According to Kerckhoffs's principle, this can be public knowledge, in
contrast to "security through obscurity". But if you feel like this is
sensible, feel free to answer me directly instead of the list.

Thanks!

--
ilf

If you upload your address book to "the cloud", I don't want to be in it.