how to recover secret key passphrase?

Peter Lebbing peter at digitalbrains.com
Wed Aug 21 12:03:40 CEST 2019

On 20/08/2019 19:46, vedaal via Gnupg-users wrote:
> Try This:
>
> [1] Open a new terminal command prompt window
> [2] Type  gpg -a --export-secret-key keyname

I think ilf is quite correct that you need to enter your passphrase to
do an export from the agent-managed store in private-keys-v1.d. The
encryption in the private key store is not the same as the encryption of
a transferable OpenPGP private key anymore, so it needs to be decrypted
and re-encrypted, which is why you're asked for your passphrase.

> This works in both GnuPG 1.x and 2.x

I think it would have worked in 1.x and 2.0. But for 2.1+, it no longer
works, and

> Don't use gpg-agent for this.

you actually really need the agent to access the private keys from GnuPG
2.1+.

So what ilf probably needs is something that can read the private keybox
format. That's where my advice falls short: I can't help with that.

HTH,

Peter.