Partial/fragmented decryption keys

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Sun Dec 8 21:43:23 CET 2019

Joseph Bruni via Gnupg-users wrote:

> I recall from the early days of PGP that there was a way to create a
> corporate key, fragmented into a certain number of potions, which would
> require some quorum to be able to perform decryption. I pored over the GnuPG
> documentation but could not find an equivalent. Perhaps I’m just getting the
> terminology wrong. Is this still possible in OpenPGP and therefore in GnuPG?

I don't remember that, but you may search (on GitHub) for 'Shamir's Secret
Sharing', which allows you to share a secret with multiple parties and only
if the parties come together they can decrypt the secret.

Regards
Stefan

--
box: 4a64758de9e8ceded2c481ee526440687fe2f3a828e3a813f87753ad30847b56
  certified OpenPGP key blocks available on keybase.io/stefan_claas